Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Hummus? Humbug.

The Intercontinental Chicago O'Hare in Rosemont, Illinois is beautiful. I was upgraded to a lovely two room suite, and the suite was architecturally like the rooms you see in those home decorating magazines. It was spectacular, but not for everyday living. So, what exactly does that mean?

Well, for starters there was no counter space in the bathroom. I decided that a man must have designed it. Yes, I know it's a sexist comment, but realistically - and in my opinion - the average man doesn't really need or use much counter space. And this bathroom had no counter space. I need counter space.

This bathroom had a free standing sink. I had to put my curling iron on the edge of the bathtub. That's just wrong. In fact, doesn't the little do-not-remove-warning-of-electrocution tag say not to put your curling iron on the edge of the bathtub??

And then there was no full length mirror in the room. I think this may be the first hotel I've ever stayed in that didn't have one. Further proof that the architect was a man.

Parking in the hotel was $22.00 a day, but from what I hear that was a bargain for Chicago. And, on the plus side - they had wireless internet access throughout the hotel. Yay!!

Finding my room required a map. The hotel had maze-like hallways. I think that guests shouldn't drink too much or they'll never find their way back to the room. Not that that is ever an issue for me... but I set a way-point on my GPS just in case.

A real down side to the hotel was that the club lounge was not open even though the hotel has been open for about a year and a half. The website said it had a concierge, and actually bragged about it. In fact, it was one of the reasons I booked it. This became a bit of an issue since I selected the hotel based on the fact that the lounge access would cut down on my meal cost.

When I asked the desk clerk why there was no concierge he said it had something to do with the steakhouse next door and a legal issue with the hotel restaurant. Uhm... Say what? The concierge isn't normally located in the hotel restaurant. This was just plain weird to me. I asked what they were going to do to make me happy. The young man at the desk gave me a couple of coupons for a free appetizer and a free drink. Later in the evening I went to the hotel bar for dinner and handed the coupon to the bartender. She told me the coupons were good for a small salad, a bowl of soup, or hummus. Hummus. Really?

The bartender said that was ridiculous and comped me a Caesar salad. I gave her a big tip.

No comments: