Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Speaking of planes...

The next day was on my top five worst airport experiences I've ever had.

First, I made the mistake of filling up the rental car at the only gas station I could see. It was across from the hotel - Suncoast Energys on Butler National Drive. It has an attached Wendy's Hamburgers. The station does not post prices and has a $2.00 mark-up on the gas. ($4.97 a gallon!) I asked if it was correct and they told me that they could charge it because they were the only option. I was furious, but had no choice since I had to get to the airport.

When I researched this gas station later, I found out that people have filed complaints for years with the Orlando BBB regarding this station. They said the practice is not illegal and is a case of "buyer beware."

So, BUYER BEWARE. This is the gas station across from Crowne Plaza Orlando Resort. Do not go to the Suncoast Energys gas station on Butler National Drive near the airport in Orlando Florida.

I have since learned that about a half mile up the street (where you can't see it by the way) there is a regular gas station. Go there instead.

Then there was the Orlando International Airport. Maybe I was just already irritated because of the gas station experience, but the line to check a bag was 2 hours long. Two hours! I've never had to wait two hours to check a bag other than the airport in Barcelona, Spain and then it was because I was in line with a gazillion other people that just got off the same cruise ship.

I had only given myself two hours total before my flight was scheduled to leave, and security looked as if it would take a minimum of an hour so I decided to carry on my bag. I think I'll just avoid Orlando from here on out. There are other airports in Florida.

No comments: