Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Take two of these and please don't call me in the morning.

Four hotels in four nights is a little much. But the good thing is that there were no really bad ones on this trip. It's nice that I didn't have to end the trip with a bad hotel, and in fact the final night's stay was quite relaxing.

The Crowne Plaza Orlando Resort in Orlando, Florida was another pleasant Crowne. I like a consistent brand like this. Every now and then I come across a lemon, but most of the time they really are nice.

While having dinner at the hotel bar, I learned that the hotel is usually full on weekends because the cruise lines contract with the hotel for pre-cruise packages. It's also very close to Disney World but I didn't see anyone that looked like the Magic Kingdom was their destination. There was a group of men talking about golf and drinking vodka and cranberry juice at the other end of the bar. Does that count, or is it a typical drink for golfers?

I wouldn't have minded taking a side trip to Disney World, but the accounting department might have been a little suspicious if I turned in a receipt from Donald Duck's Dairy Delights or Minnie's Marvelous Mousses.

Probably the most interesting thing about this hotel was the fact that the walls seemed thinner than most. Until I turned on the room fan I could hear the guy in the next room hacking and coughing. No quiet little cough there, oh no. This was loud and the kind of noise that makes you want to put on a face mask. I also think the bed in the other room must have been on the same wall as mine, because when the guy coughed sometimes he would hit the wall. I tried not to think about it too much since I didn't get a flu shot this year.

I wasn't upgraded to the concierge floor because I was told that the top floor was fully booked. I was given access to the Club Lounge though, and on my way passed the sign designating the floor as a "quiet zone." I wonder what they would have done if the man in the next room had have booked one of those rooms? Sent him complimentary throat lozenges?

I mostly hoped he wasn't going to be on the plane with me the next day.

No comments: