Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Some like it hot

I recently switched hotel chains so I could take advantage of the Hilton's "double-dipping" policy. The good part of this is that I get hotel points and miles. The bad part of this is that I am basically starting over in a hotel recognition program. I guess I should say I am spoiled. I am used to being treated "special" when I check in and during my stay.

When I checked into the Hilton Garden Inn Nashville Airport hotel in Nashville, Tennessee I was assigned a room that overlooked the trash bins.

Not exactly the treatment I am used to, but I knew that when I switched loyalties. Plus, at the rate I travel it's only a matter of time before my status with Hilton is such that I'll receive the same kind of perks. I can wait.

I did enjoy my dinner though. And there was a cute young thing singing her little country-soul out to all three of us in the restaurant. Bless her heart. She was pretty good, too.

I went back to my room. The bathroom door wouldn't stay open, and I had to use the ironing board to keep it open. Then imagine my excitement when at 5:00 AM I was awakened by the trash truck outside. OK. So I wasn't given a room on the top floor. I could probably accept these things - until I woke up to take a shower the next morning and there was no hot water. NO hot water! This was not a welcome discovery.

When I went to check out before catching my plane the desk clerk asked how I enjoyed my stay. I said the hotel itself was fine, but I was not at all happy about the cold shower. She said the system had gone out for the entire hotel but as compensation she would remove my previous night's dinner charge from the bill.

Since dinner was the best part I think they should have charged me for the dinner and removed the rest of the stay. I stay in a lot of hotels, and all I want to accomplish when visiting their property overnight is two things. While I'm there I want to get a good night's sleep, and I want a nice hot shower. This hotel fell short on both of those counts.

I probably won't be back to this hotel. But, I like the fact that they allowed the young country singer a venue. We all want to reach for the stars and accomplish our dreams. As for my dream? I want to sleep past 5: 00 AM and start the day off with a hot shower.

May we both succeed.

No comments: