Wednesday, August 11, 2010

It'll be our little secret.

Shhh. Don't tell anyone, but I stayed at a Hilton property. It was the Hampton Inn in Madison Heights, Michigan.

So what was it like? It felt a bit like I imagine it must feel when someone is cheating on a spouse. I felt like I was going to get caught.

But I was determined that I would go into this experience with an open mind. I would not compare. No I wouldn't. But I did.

It ended up not as the greatest hotel experience I've ever had, but it certainly wasn't the worst. (That distinction belongs to the Holiday Inn in Columbus, Georgia.) This hotel held its own in the challenging department. The light bulb was burnt out over the desk, the phone didn't work, and the air conditioner had a horrible rattle - thank goodness for earplugs!

The staff in the hotel were wonderful, friendly, and certainly knew about customer service. That counts a lot in my hotel rating system.

By far the best part of the stay was the breakfast. For comparison purposes (I know I said I wouldn't compare but I lied) the Hampton Inn is the equivalent of a Holiday Inn Express. I have stayed in a lot of Holiday Inn Express properties. So many, in fact, that when I smell the "famous cinnamon rolls" I want to run in the other direction. There was not a cinnamon roll in site at the Hampton. It was so nice to have new options! Waffles, fresh fruit, breakfast potatoes. I liked it.

Does all this mean I'm going to switch? I don't know, but I will certainly not rule out an occasional stay. I've been with Holiday Inn a long time, and familiarity is comfort. But I think I can handle a thrill every now and then.

Shhh. It'll be our little secret.

No comments: