Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Dust in the Wind

I have a love-hate relationship with the Intercontinental Hotel in Dallas, Texas. Well, maybe hate is a little strong. I have a love-dislike a little relationship. Yes, that phrase represents it well I think. Most of my stays have been absolutely wonderful. But the hotel has no wireless, and that alone impacts my feelings of love. It's just one of those things I have learned to put up with. I guess I view my relationships with my favorite hotels a lot like marriage. If it is worth the commitment, you just have to learn to live with strange little habits.

Anyway, since my last visit to the property several months ago they have gutted the lobby and started extensive renovations. One of the managers met me when I arrived, showed me the blueprints and fabric swatches, and assured me that the hotel was going to be quite the showplace when everything is finished.

Staying in the hotel during renovations was interesting to say the least. There was no check-in desk, no restaurant, no lobby bar, and no concierge lounge. I usually take advantage of evening appetizers and continental breakfast in the lounge, so I had to figure out where to have dinner. There was a makeshift restaurant in the lobby, but I really wasn't interested.

It would have been nice to know all this before I checked in. If I had known about this in advance, I could have stopped after my meeting for take out. The first night I ended up changing clothes and going to Jack in the Box for fine dining. The second night I splurged with Taco Bell. Ah, the joys of life on the road.

I spent two nights at the hotel on this trip. As usual, my room was very nice, but it was hot. Nothing cooled it down. Maybe during the remodel the process was to re-route all the cool air from the guest rooms to cool down the construction workers in the lobby.

When I checked out I asked if part of the renovation plan was to install wireless internet in the guest rooms. No one could give me the answer to my question. I would like to think they read my 482 comments to that effect. Time will tell.

I have another trip to the DFW planned in a month or two. I'm anxious to see if the renovations will be finished. Maybe I should call first. It would be nice to know in advance if I need to take a fan - and a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

No comments: