Sunday, July 5, 2009

Can't you show a little excitement?

The plane was half full. The pilot walked into the aisle and said "Good news folks, we're taking off a little early and getting you there early!" Three people clapped. The pilot said "I know it's Midland, but hey can't you at least act excited?" We arrived 10 minutes early. Nice. It made me want to clap - especially since my morning flight had been canceled. I was just glad to have arrived at all.

This trip was a "freebie" since it was not a business trip, but for pleasure. (Yes, really. We went to see Summer Mummers, a wonderful Midland event.) Anyway, we used one of my free nights, and stayed in the Holiday Inn Express in Midland,Texas. It was a great stay. No complaints at all. We were recognized immediately as priority members and given nice little gift bags with all the necessities - trail mix, chips, cookies and bottled water. Believe me... in Midland you really appreciate the bottled water.

The only thing I can really comment on was the alarm clock. But you know, I didn't even attempt to set it as I always use my Blackberry for an alarm when I travel. But since my husband was with me he was determined to figure it out. I tell you what. I think I'll let you read his story for yourself.


UPDATE: The month after I stayed in this hotel I was matching my credit card receipts against my statement and came across a very odd thing. Two days after checking out I was billed on our credit card for our stay at the highest nightly rate, $170.00. Since we used a reward night I shouldn't have been billed for anything. I called the hotel, and the person I spoke with asked if I had charged anything to the room. I said no we hadn't, but in the back of my mind I was wondering who in the world could charge anything worth that much money at a Holiday Inn Express?! Anyway, I was told the manager was in a meeting and would call me back. After 2 days and making 3 more calls to the hotel (I never was able to speak with the manager) the last person I spoke with said "Oh they took care of it and credited your credit card." I said I was glad to hear it but it would have been nice to have been informed of the action. I asked for a copy of the credit and gave them my email address. The next day I received an email from the manager. It said "Here is your requested receipt. Please let us know if we can do anything else to assist you." There was no apology for the mistake or even a thank you for your patience. I can't believe the manager didn't even take the time to call me. I'm sad to think this lovely stay was marred by an error like this. But mostly I'm really glad I always check my credit card statements!

No comments: